lout-users

Re: Gaps in some @Math symbols?

From: Giovanni Zezza
Subject: Re: Gaps in some @Math symbols?
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2008 17:51:52 +0200

Il Mon, 06 Oct 2008 14:28:55 +0200, Ludovic Courtès scriveva:

>Not that I remember of.  ;-)  (I've been using it in makefiles for some
>time.)
>
>The Ghostscript doc [0] isn't clear as to what the difference is between
>the two.

They are predefined settings of "distiller parameters".

You may find out what exactly they do, by looking into the source of
gs_pdfwr.ps, in <gs>/lib directory:

PRINTER:
/printer mark
  /AutoRotatePages /None
%  /CalGrayProfile (None)
  /CannotEmbedFontPolicy /Warning
  /ColorACSImageDict .printerACSImageDict
  /ColorConversionStrategy /UseDeviceIndependentColor
  /ColorImageDownsampleType /Bicubic
  /ColorImageResolution 300
  /CompatibilityLevel 1.4
  /CreateJobTicket true
  /DoThumbnails false
  /EmbedAllFonts true
  /GrayACSImageDict .printerACSImageDict
  /GrayImageDownsampleType /Bicubic
  /GrayImageResolution 300
  /MonoImageDownsampleType /Bicubic
  /MonoImageResolution 1200
  /NeverEmbed []
  /PreserveEPSInfo true
  /PreserveOPIComments true
  /PreserveOverprintSettings true
  /UCRandBGInfo /Preserve

PREPRESS:
/prepress mark
  /AutoRotatePages /None
  /CannotEmbedFontPolicy /Error
  /ColorACSImageDict .prepressACSImageDict
  /ColorConversionStrategy /LeaveColorUnchanged
  /ColorImageDownsampleType /Bicubic
  /ColorImageResolution 300
  /CompatibilityLevel 1.4
  /CreateJobTicket true
  /DoThumbnails true
  /EmbedAllFonts true
  /GrayACSImageDict .prepressACSImageDict
  /GrayImageDownsampleType /Bicubic
  /GrayImageResolution 300
  /MonoImageDownsampleType /Bicubic
  /MonoImageResolution 1200
  /NeverEmbed []
  /PreserveEPSInfo true
  /PreserveOPIComments true
  /PreserveOverprintSettings true
  /UCRandBGInfo /Preserve

For that I can understand, they are about the same; the only differences
are in treating error in embedding fonts (/Warning vs /Error, i.e., I
think, /prepress fails if it can't embed fonts), color conversion stragegy
(/UseDeviceIndependentColor vs /LeaveColorUnchanged, this seems to be self
explanatory, or about so), and QFactor (whatever this means) in
.printerACSImageDict vs .prepressACSImageDict:

/.printerACSImageDict mark
  /QFactor 0.4 /Blend 1 /ColorTransform 1
  /HSamples .a1111 /VSamples .a1111

/.prepressACSImageDict mark
  /QFactor 0.15 /Blend 1 /ColorTransform 1
  /HSamples .a1111 /VSamples .a1111

Ciao.