lout-users

Re: Generic language listings

From: Kamil Rytarowski
Subject: Re: Generic language listings
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2013 02:17:48 +0200

On 07/13/13 23:33, Jeff Kingston wrote:
Dear address@hidden,
Hello,

Thank you for your general support and replies. My master opus was done primary with the Lout (except the front and a second page, it was done with another tool and glued with a PDF utility).

There are extremely important spaces (I would like to use some
gray dot distinguished from the typical dot in a source code),
new-lines, and would be great to have a rule with the lines-of-code.
You seem to be suggesting that someone else should make this happen
for you.  If that's your plan, it's doomed to disappointment.  You
need to become enough of an expert to make it happen yourself.

Unfortunately there is still a problem with a character width.
Post a very small example of a Lout source file, with the
corresponding PostScript file showing the problem.
I can't post you a piece of my work (as I'm not an owner of it anymore) neither I was able to reproduce it with a dummy example. So, please let me just to notify you that super-signed characters (at least Polish) with random and unreproducible situations the fonts of headers, titles (lin general a larger text) seemed to have "resetted properties" -- it looked as they would be too narrow, and so overlapping, ad their width was the same as a standard character in a text field.

The second problem that I ran into was with multipage tables. I had found a documented bug against it, that produces a shifted table; the mentioned walka-round worked, however there was another bug that with a certain situation a page break resulted with a rotated (A4) pages and general mess until the end of the table and a page after the end of it. I was trying to resolve it within 2-3 days (examining each character 10 times, trying to break table into multiple tables one each page etc) , and finally reedited it into nested lists....

@F @Verbatim works very bad here, it cuts the white-space (most
notably at the beginning of the file and line - and this produces
incorrect source code).
Then RTM and try @F @RawVerbatim.
Yes, this was what I was looking for and it helped me out, to spot the solution. It's valuable to say of @RawVerbatim over the manual in the relevant section as well.

Is possible to rename @Floater into "Code listing"
RTM, Section 2.13.
I haven't found this part that obvious and as a walk-around (sorry, my time was that month too short), I reedited the library definitions.

Jeff

I can't work out the posted problems, trying to reproduce and help to debug it, as I'm needed on the other side of the open-source planet; once again thank you very much against your great piece of software!

With kind regards,

PS. It's worth mentioning in the RED that "//" is NOT a comment. I'm still stuned with the fact, that my C, C++ brain made as completely transparent as a comment in a source-code, and it pushed me to search the problem on all the different fields.