lout-users

Re: reports of Lout's death somewhat exaggerated

From: Jeff Kingston
Subject: Re: reports of Lout's death somewhat exaggerated
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2015 07:24:57 +1100

Hi Mat,

> lout knows nothing about fonts (all that fiddling with
> fonts via external tools should be done IMHO by fontconfig,
> freetype and its friends),

I'm not qualified to comment here.  After all this time I still
know practically nothing about fonts, except that I don't believe
in them.  I've got just one thing to say to people who think that
fonts are good:  kerning subscripts.

> and (especially painful to me) it
> knows nothing about the world behind the ISO-8859-1 bubble
> (which is probably more limitation of PostScript; is there such
> a thing as Unicode in PostScript?).

Yes, the orginal Lout predated Unicode, and then it never got
pushed into it by any developments in PostScript.  A huge
weakness I agree.

Jeff Kingston
address@hidden