lout-users

Re: Lout *not* dead!

From: Richard Cichelli
Subject: Re: Lout *not* dead!
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2015 13:03:04 -0400

Hi Jeff and friends,

Just to bring you up to date on our use of Lout:

The reports produced with our newspaper advertising system are now composed using Lout. Never have I seen nicer looking typeset reports.

We use a custom SCS text substitution tool and companion macro processor to take what are Lout programs templates and then generate Lout instances.

We even generate/draw beautiful page dummies with Lout. The predecessor dummy drawing program was over 112,000 LOC in C. Using Lout and our pattern languages only 4,200 LOC were needed to provide equivalent functionality. This has been expanded to provide a near-realtime production page tracker and several other tools.

We introduced DTP tools for pagination into newspapers in 1987. We co-invented QuarkXTensions with Tim Gill (Quark's founder) and made it work with a very early version of QuarkXPress. We added support for InDesign a number of years ago and are now very actively working with Scribus and the Scribus community.

Lout has been a tremendous help in our development efforts. It makes a difference everyday to not just us but several thousand publication in 19 countries who publish in five languages. (14 of the 25 largest newspapers in the US see new output that is produced using Lout every day!)

We cannot adequately express our appreciation.

If you would like more specifics to share with other Lout users, let me know.

Thanks,
Richard.

Richard J. Cichelli
President/Member