lout-users

Re: Lout *not* dead!

From: Mark Carroll
Subject: Re: Lout *not* dead!
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2015 11:02:19 +0100

Matěj Cepl <address@hidden> writes:

> On 11/10/15 03:44, Daren Scot Wilson wrote:
>> Lout is certainly not dead for me.
>
> OK, it is not dead (like punk), it is just pinning for the fjords. I am
> glad I have excited so many (all?) users of it to make themselves known.

I generally think of Lout as being in maintenance mode: no new features
but I would hope that Jeff may still help to fix bugs. Personally I love
how generally easy it is to figure out how to have Lout do what I want,
partly because what I want tends to coincide with what it would do
anyway. For instance, while I certainly appreciate TikZ, I've not yet
had a Lout diagram that made me wish I were using LaTeX instead.

I /do/ worry that Nonpareil is dead though. At the least, I hope that
the basic "lessons learned" from all this is written up somewhere -- at
least as a conceptual overview capturing the approach -- so that if
there is someday some successor, it is as good as Lout or as Nonpareil
would have been.

-- Mark