lout-users

Re: Changing math layout / microtypography

From: Matěj Cepl
Subject: Re: Changing math layout / microtypography
Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2016 11:01:05 +0200

On 2016-04-02, 00:10 GMT, Oliver Bandel wrote:
> So, I want to try lout again, thinking that complex stuff can
> be typeset in much less time than using LaTeX.  The drawback
> in typography I want to limit by adapting some
> microtypographical enhancements to the way, lout doe sthe
> typesetting.

I think that the limitation is that lout is very much tighten to
PostScript. So, as long as you can express it in PostScript (and
your ps2pdf won't screw up), I believe you can make Lout macro
which will generate the stuff for you. Which makes me wonder:
most of the microtypographical extensions to TeX came with
PDFTeX I believe and you still need it or its descendants (e.g.,
XeTeX) to get them. But perhaps I am wrong, and you can do those
microtypographical extensions with PostScript as well, and it
was just a coincidence that it came with PDFTeX.

Best,

Matěj

--
https://matej.ceplovi.cz/blog/, Jabber: address@hidden

We are told that [St. Anthony] once fell into dejection, finding
uninterrupted contemplation above his strength; but was taught to
apply himself at intervals to manual labour by a vision of an
angel who appeared platting mats of palm-tree leaves, then rising
to pray, and after some time sitting down again to work; and who
at length said to him, "Do thus, and thou shalt be saved."
    -- Life of St. Anthony