lout-users

Re: Changing math layout / microtypography

From: Oliver Bandel
Subject: Re: Changing math layout / microtypography
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2016 23:53:34 +0200

Zitat von Oliver Bandel <address@hidden> (Mon, 04 Apr 2016 23:48:06 +0200)

Hi,

Zitat von Matěj Cepl <address@hidden> (Sat, 02 Apr 2016 11:01:05 +0200)

On 2016-04-02, 00:10 GMT, Oliver Bandel wrote:
So, I want to try lout again, thinking that complex stuff can
be typeset in much less time than using LaTeX.  The drawback
in typography I want to limit by adapting some
microtypographical enhancements to the way, lout doe sthe
typesetting.

[...]

[...]
Which makes me wonder:
most of the microtypographical extensions to TeX came with
PDFTeX I believe and you still need it or its descendants (e.g.,
XeTeX) to get them. But perhaps I am wrong, and you can do those
microtypographical extensions with PostScript as well, and it
was just a coincidence that it came with PDFTeX.

There were some enhancements in pdfTeX, that TeX does not have.
The problem is not Postscript, but TeX itself.

See here for example:
http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/349/what-is-the-practical-difference-between-latex-and-pdflatex

So,,, pdfTeX with a certain package to enhance themicrotypography.
[...]

See here:

  The `microtype' package provides a LaTeX interface to the micro-typographic
  extensions that were introduced by pdfTeX and have since also propagated to
  XeTeX and LuaTeX: most prominently, character protrusion and font expansion,
  furthermore the adjustment of interword spacing and additional kerning, as
  well as hyphenatable letterspacing (tracking) and the possibility to disable
all or selected ligatures. These features may be applied to customisable sets
  of fonts, and all micro- typographic aspects of the fonts can be configured
  in a straight-forward and flexible way. Settings for various fonts are
  provided.

  Note that character protrusion requires pdfTeX (version 0.14f or later),
  LuaTeX, or XeTeX (at least version 0.9997). Font expansion works with pdfTeX
(version 1.20 for automatic expansion) or LuaTeX. The package will by default
  enable protrusion and expansion if they can safely be assumed to work.
  Disabling ligatures requires pdfTeX (at least version 1.30) or LuaTeX, while
the adjustment of interword spacing and of kerning only works with pdfTeX (at
  least 1.40). Letterspacing is available with pdfTeX (1.40) or LuaTeX (0.62).

( http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/microtype/ )

Ciao,
   Oliver