RE: RE: Re: [Ltib] how to build a kernel module using ltib? (docu)

From: David Warman
Subject: RE: RE: Re: [Ltib] how to build a kernel module using ltib? (docu)
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 17:19:35 -0700

Hi folks,

<resend after subscribing to the list - sorry if this is then repeated>

I am having a related problem: I am setting up to use the ov511 camera and the usbvideo usb capture device. Both depend on the videodev module. When I modprobe videodev, I get "Unknown symbol request_module" error and the probe fails. Yet I have verified that kmod.o exports this label. I am guessing that there is something missing from the link commands for building videodev, but I have not yet been able to find the file that contains that invocation. Forcing as rebuild by deleting kmod.o and videodev.o does not fix the problem. Has anybody any ideas on this?

update:
I was getting this response to modprobe:

11:59 PM root DavesHybrid ~]$ modprobe videodev
videodev: Unknown symbol request_module
insmod: cannot insert `/lib/modules/2.6.13.4/kernel/drivers/media/ video/videodev.ko': Unknown symbol in module (-1): No such file or directory
modprobe: failed to load module videodev

then I deleted videodev.o, ran ./ltib -- configure, forgot to check kernel build, then ran it again with kernel build, and now I get this response instead:

[12:06 AM root DavesHybrid ~]$ modprobe videodev
modprobe: QM_MODULES: Function not implemented

modprobe: QM_MODULES: Function not implemented

modprobe: Can't locate module videodev
[12:07 AM root DavesHybrid ~]$ find / -name videodev.* -print
/lib/modules/2.6.13.4/kernel/drivers/media/video/videodev.ko

[12:08 AM root DavesHybrid ~]$

Also, and btw, I think the sample_ltib_ko.tgz would be a great help, but it does not show as a link; where would I find it?

thanks in advance,

David Warman