Re: [Ltib] how to build a kernel module using ltib? (docu)

From: David Warman
Subject: Re: [Ltib] how to build a kernel module using ltib? (docu)
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 10:58:31 -0700

Hi Stuart,

Thanks;

I thought videodev was part of the V4L subsystem and was handled by ltib, since it is not explicitly called out in the --configure menu, but does get built when I turn on V4L. So, in fact, I have no idea how videodev is being built because I am not doing that myself.

Most puzzling is the fact that I get different behaviors after a ltib --configure session even when I am sure I made o changes that should have affected it. In fact, the first time I turned on V4L everything seemed OK, not that I knew as much about testing that part at the time as I do now.

Re the modules I am going to be adding, thanks for the pointer to hello_mod, that will take me a long way.

While I have your ear, there is another puzzle: there seem to be two kernel config files involved - the one called out in the ltib menu:

ltib/config/platform/mpc8349itx/nas_linux-2.6.13.4-mpc8349itx.config

and the one that gets changed when I make changes in the kernel configure menu:

ltib/rootfs/lib/modules/2.6.13.4/build/.config

What is the relationship here? the first has CONFIG_KMOD off, the second has it =y. There are other differences too.

Thanks for your help with this,

David Warman