Re: [Ltib] Relative path in .ltibrc

From: Stuart Hughes
Subject: Re: [Ltib] Relative path in .ltibrc
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 08:46:08 +0100

Hi Mattias,

You can't put in a relative path for the value of %lpp.  This is
deliberately so as any files in there should be the same for all users
(on that host).

The source/patches in the LPP/GPP are intended unique and common and
available once you've finished work and want to *publish*.  Effectively
the spec files publish the set of files that make up a package.

Probably for what you want to do you're better off checking out under
revision control, you package under rpm/BUILD.  Let's say your package
is call x, you could do:

$ cd rpm/BUILD/
$ rcs co x           # my guess

Then each developer would work in their own instance of LTIB,
rpm/BUILD/x and check in/out changes as you work.

To make use of this simply use a spec file that doesn't reference any
sources.

Once you're software development is finished, tag your work and then
make a tarball of it and then put that into the LPP/GPP and then create
a proper spec file that references that tarball.

Note: the main thing to understand here is that LTIB is intended more as
a package publishing tool, not a software development tool so it should
not be used for revision control.  However if you use it as indicated
above, it should work well for you.

BTW: for the Linux kernel, there is a directory build option which
allows you to point at any directory, which may be using
git/cvs/bitkeeper.  You may like to take a look at how this works as
it's similar (but more complicated) that what you are trying to do.

Regards, Stuart