Re: [Ltib] How can I use the latest kernel version on MPC8349ITX board?

From: Mark Lacas
Subject: Re: [Ltib] How can I use the latest kernel version on MPC8349ITX board?
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 01:54:37 -0700

I have compiled and run the 2.6.21.5 kernel.

There are a number of things you have to do to make it work.

Setup the new kernel as an externally referenced kernel in ltib.

Switch from ppc to powerpc architecture:  Edit main.lkc (I think that's the file) and set LINTARCH to powerpc.

Fix the dts files from Windows line endings to Linux/Unix line endings. (bug)

Update to u-boot-1.2.0 and make sure to turn on the Open Firmware settings.

Re-flash u-boot into the box.  (Be very, very careful unless you have a BDI-2000 or equivalent).

Setup the u-boot environment and dtb files for booting.

Use the bootm command that adds the dtb device tree addition when booting linux.

This is an approximation of the things to do.  If I get more time I'll document it better and provide it to the list.

The latest stable release works well and has so much improved.  It's worth the trouble.

Ciao,
ml