[Ltib] Switching the discrete X proto packages for xorg-x11-proto-devel

From: Stuart Hughes
Subject: [Ltib] Switching the discrete X proto packages for xorg-x11-proto-devel
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 17:49:17 +0000

Hi LF,

while adding Xterm I needed to add xf86dgaproto during a phase when I
was building the Xorg part rather than Kdrive.  Anyhow to simplify this
I imported xorg-x11-proto:
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/releases/9/Fedora/source/SRPMS/xorg-x11-proto-devel-7.3-12.fc9.src.rpm
This effectively bundles up all the protocol parts you may need in one
handy package.

What I was wondering is whether it's worth using this package instead of
the discrete packages you originally packaged?

On the plus side is simplicity, as and when people extend what they need
they won't need to add more protocol packages.

The downside is that you have more protos that you actually need
sometimes (bloat).  One way to mitigate is to allow adding/removing of
these in the config so say:

[*] xorg protocols
   [ ] randrproto
   [ ] renderproto

And then deal with these in the xorg-x11-proto.spec file.

I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts.  Currently I will add
xorg-x11-proto when I check-in, but will only expose it if Xorg (the
real server) is selected.