Re: [Ltib] skell-1.13 should have a slightly different PATH in /etc/prof

From: Robert P. J. Day
Subject: Re: [Ltib] skell-1.13 should have a slightly different PATH in /etc/profile
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 10:51:56 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008, Stuart Hughes wrote:

... much PATH-related stuff snipped here ...

> I think there are 2 issue here.
>
> * What the default PATH entry should be (the most used convention I
> guess).  Which one do you think is best?

  typically, having at least /usr/local/bin is a good idea, to allow
locally-written utilities to be installed outside of the system bin
directories.  i'll give it more thought.

> * Does telnetd have a problem.
>
> I didn't quite follow what you meant about telnetd.  Maybe you could
> elaborate a little.  You probably have tried, but did you
> investigate /root/.profile, /root/.login.  It might be worth taking
> a look in the busybox telnetd code to see what it sources when it
> starts and/or ash to see what it does.

  i've tried everything i can think of to modify the default PATH we
get after logging in with telnet.  the way it's set up is that, for
better or worse, when we telnet to our embedded system, we get in as
root with no password, with a PATH of just the default system
directories, and i've tried a bunch of things to extend that path with
no luck.

  and if it can't be extended easily and transparently, this whole
/usr/local/bin idea doesn't have a lot of value.  so just ignore this
issue until i figure out one way or the other what's happening and
i'll let you know.

rday
--

p.s.  obviously, if you connect to your system some other way, like
with ssh, it's easy to customize the path.  i just can't figure out

Robert P. J. Day
    Have classroom, will lecture.