[Ltib] building lzo, and why "dos2unix" is your friend

From: Robert P. J. Day
Subject: [Ltib] building lzo, and why "dos2unix" is your friend
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 08:18:35 -0500 (EST)

  as a followup to my earlier posting, i finally figured out what was
going horribly wrong with trying to add the "lzo" package to my build,
and it's a weird one.

  quite simply, the way i copied the spec file turned it into a
windows format text file, with end of lines denoted by the combination
of <CR><LF> characters, rather than the unix standard of just <LF>.
it never occurred to me to even look at that, and the attempted build
of lzo kept crashing.

  i finally noticed the format of the lzo.spec file but it never
dawned on me that that was an actual problem -- i simply like to keep
the files in my repository in unix format, so i ran "dos2unix" on it,
then prepared to get back to debugging, only to find that the build
suddenly worked.  as a test, i converted it back and, sure enough,
boom.

  it would never have occurred to me to check something like that --
has anyone else tripped over that?

rday

Robert P. J. Day
    Have classroom, will lecture.