Re: [Ltib] Getting started in LTIB SVN and GPP

From: Stuart Hughes
Subject: Re: [Ltib] Getting started in LTIB SVN and GPP
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 08:46:58 +0000

Hi Kevin,

Welcome to the list, see replies in-line:

On Mon, 2009-01-05 at 21:09 +0100, Kevin Wells wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I'm new to LTIB and GPP and I'm in the process of completing and
> polishing an ARM Linux port. We are using LTIB (with very few changes)
> to build and deploy the bootloader, kernel, and root filesystem for
> our platform and have several customers that have successfully used
> LTIB with our edits to deploy their own platforms. As of the latest
> LTIB release, I have only had to make add the config/platform/<board>
> area for LTIB to work. Very nice! In preperation for getting specific
> changes posted into SVN and GPP, I have a few questions, so here they
> go..
>

> Concerning .spec files, I have .spec files for u-boot and the Linux
> kernel. I currently have these in the config/platform/<board> area.
> Would it make more sense to place these in the appropriate areas in
> the dist/lfs-5.1 directories instead? The Cobra project has them in
> the platform area, but new projects seem to have them in the
> dist/lfs-5.1 area.
>

>From a practical point of view, either will (and always will) work.
However as far as policy goes here are the guidelines:

* If any spec file could be shared, then it should go in
dist/lfs-5.1/...

* If the spec file could only ever be used by one platform, then it
should go in config/platform/_board_

In the case of kernels it will depend on the nature of your changes.  If
there are other ARM boards that could use the same kernel, then I'd be
inclined to place them in dist/lfs-5.1/kernel.  However you could do
this later when you actually have a case where this is needed.

> Anything else I need to lookout for before submitting my project
> files?

When uploading to the GPP:

* The files must be distributable without restriction (e.g. open-source
and unrestricted).  If not, you have to deal with them outside the
GPP.

* All uploaded files should have information on where they came from
(authors, mailing list etc).  In particular if they are a copy (mirror)
of some official site and they're unmodified, please give the URL and
say they are unmodified.

Before committing to CVS:

* Please send a patch to the list for review (cvs diff -u).  In this
case it sounds like it will only be config/platform/_board_.   Even so,
I think it's useful to pick up anything that may be changing (for
example the way toolchains are enumerated changed a while ago).