[Ltib] ffmpeg / cross-compile with LTIB produces big binaries and leave

From: Franz Trierweiler
Subject: [Ltib] ffmpeg / cross-compile with LTIB produces big binaries and leave static libs on rootfs
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 01:29:04 +0200

Hi,

Finally, I am trying to replace image magick with ffmpeg on the iMX25. This
way, I will be using an available package from LTIB instead of trying to add to
LTIB an external package.

I built the ffmpeg package with LTIB and noticed (as for image magick - see my
compared to the binary I have on my Ubuntu host (of course the Ubuntu version
uses shared libs and is therefore lighter). In addition to this, I noticed that
some libs of type "a" remain on the target filesystem (example:
./rootfs/usr/lib/libavdevice.a). Type "a" libs are used only at static link
time (thus once, during the build process). Thus my questions are:
1- Why are they left on the rootfs?
2- Does-not the spec file enable to specify a removal upon build completion?
3- Why does not the binary app use shared libs on the ARM9 ?

Regards,
Franz