Re: [Ltib] LTIB: distribute prebuilt host RPM packages (rpm-fs, git, di

From: Gernot Hillier
Subject: Re: [Ltib] LTIB: distribute prebuilt host RPM packages (rpm-fs, git, distcc, ...)
Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 16:20:59 +0200

Hi!

Am 14.05.2010 15:59, schrieb Stuart Hughes:
> It's not really practical to provide pre-built rpms for the host support
> packages.  The reason is that they need to be built so they run reliably
> on each distribution.  For example if you tried to run a pre-built
> binary linked with gcc4 on a gcc3 machine, it's going to fail.  By
> building the host packages from scratch is able to be installed on
> pretty much any distribution.

Hmmm, but this doesn't hold true for the toolchain package ... as it's
statically linked?

> In your case, if you know that each VM/install is on the same host
> distribution, you could build it once and then tar up /opt/ltib and then
> untar that with your script as part of the install process.

Yeah, something like this is exactly what I want.

However, I'd like to stay with your nice workflow of not requiring root
privileges to run ltib. Same should apply to my script: it shall be able
to work w/o root rights.

Therefore I'm seeking for a mechanism to provide an additional dir where
ltib looks for binary RPMS before rebuilding them - exactly like %ldirs
provides a means to add an additional LPP dir.

--
Gernot Hillier
Siemens AG, CT T, Program Open Source Platforms