Re: [Ltib] LTIB: distribute prebuilt host RPM packages (rpm-fs, git, di

From: Gernot Hillier
Subject: Re: [Ltib] LTIB: distribute prebuilt host RPM packages (rpm-fs, git, distcc, ...)
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 10:19:34 +0200

Hi!

Am 14.05.2010 17:40, schrieb Stuart Hughes:
>> Why couldn't LTIB check for the binary RPM for "rpm-fs" and then for the
>> others in an additional path defined by .ltibrc (which would be
>> writeable for a normal user) and install those instead of recompiling
>> them? Just like it is done for %ldirs before downloading stuff from the GPP.
>
> Who/what would install them?
> How would you manage/segregate the set of rpms that belong to your
> distro on the server and maintain it?

As I said, it's not about a mechanism in any way portable or of general
use. Just something like

./ltib --use-that-binary-host-rpms-without-checking /home/foo/rpms

[...]

> I get the use case, but on balance it's not worth the effort.  Not at
> least in this form.  I have thought about other ways of pre-building the
> host stuff, but right now I don't have the time/sponsorship to do that.

However, I got your point. :-) Nevertheless thanks for the time to
discuss the issue!

> Anyhow I digress.  I'd advise using a pre-built virtual machine if
> you're doing enterprise distribution.  Another option (again which I had
> in the pipeline) was to offer an LTIB server which could scale.  That
> way the remote machines don't install LTIB, they're just clients (take a
> look at the video here to get an idea of what I mean:
> http://zee2seh/site/products-z2rlab/autodocs/z2rlab/z2rlab-intro.html)

Yes, two nice approaches. Especially I do like the latter one!
Unfortunately, the URL is incomplete, though.

--
Gernot