Re: [Ltib] Setting new package options and dependencies

From: Franz Trierweiler
Subject: Re: [Ltib] Setting new package options and dependencies
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 00:40:52 +0200

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for the explanation.

Just to be clear enough, let me tell you the whole story before I ask you a
question (sorry to make assumptions once again before asking): The Logitech
webcam-tools (libs and apps) are a "cmake"-style project, which is a pain to
configure for cross compiling. Logitech chose this, mostly because that's
convenient for native compilation (they can release the source for XCode,
Visual Studio, Eclipse, and so on, cmake can prepare the accurate project
files) which is 99% of use cases I think. After a few hours of setting and
minor fixes (not ARM-dependant but C99 syntax unsupported by the toolchain) on
the code, I finally got libs and apps cross-compiled and finished the
installation by hand on my FS board. I then noticed that the lib crashed and
found out on Logitech forums that the source code made assumptions on how data
were aligned, and someone proposed a fix for ARM. I fixed the code and finally
got something run fine. I then decided to prepare a RPM of this and made the
decision of getting rid of cmake by preparing myself the Makefiles. Indeed, as
explained above keeping a cmake style project would have been a pain. Thus, now
we are there with a kind of libwebcam 1.0 for ARM.

I can prepare a diff which hilights ARM differences *only* and that would
enable to have a generic base, patchable for any platform. Of course, we assume
that the base project is the "traditional" (not cmake) project I have just
prepared. Is-that what you really expect? Please confirm and I am ready to
contribute of course.

Regards,
Franz