Re: [Ltib] How to load and run application on my target with Linux

From: Charles Krinke
Subject: Re: [Ltib] How to load and run application on my target with Linux
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2010 15:44:57 -0700

Dear Casper:

I'm going to jump in with some generic suggestions and let others with more specific LPC3141 knowledge see if they can fill in the gaps.

Basically, one needs to get a root file system mounted so that the Linux kernel can pass off its last execution to a program known as "init".

The notion of "go" is a u-boot notion and is suitable to running a program loaded into memory with u-boot. This can include a Linux kernel, although most folks to not use "go" from a u-boot prompt.

In running Linux from u-boot, one generally needs to describe enough details of the root file system in order for the kernel to "mount" it and run it.

This could be a ramdisk, could be jffs2, could be cramfs or others.

So, ... at this point, one would look at the environment strings and see if one can understand enough about setting up the u-boot environment with your ramdisk to get the root file system booted. Personally, I dont remember all the details as I am currently using jffs2 on a PPC8313, but as I recall, there are numerous references for ramdisk setup with u-boot and various target boards.

Once one has "bash" prompt from a mounted root file system, then commands such as "ftpget" or "tftp" start becoming real interesting as one can load across the network various binaries and run them on ones target.

One will also need to become familiar with the creation of a root filesystem so one can add these binaries to the root filesystem and not need to use the network to load them on every boot.

I hope these words help you focus a little bit.

Charles