Re: [Ltib] using Linaro cross compilers with ltib

From: Stuart Hughes
Subject: Re: [Ltib] using Linaro cross compilers with ltib
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2010 15:52:03 +0000

Rob Savoye wrote:
> On 12/05/10 06:17, Stuart Hughes wrote:
>> I think it's probably easier to use the Custom toolchain feature of LTIB
>> (maybe you can update your wiki page).  To do this:
>    I tried that actually, and there are two simple reasons why having a
> completely external toolchain makes sense. One is when I don't want to
> screw around with spec files. :-) But the main issue was simply I
> couldn't get some of the imx packages or kernel to build with anything
> but 4.1.2. I'd rather use the same toolchains for everything when
> building under ltib.
>
>     - rob -

Using an external toolchain with LTIB with the custom toolchain option
should work (but doesn't always for the reason you cite).

Sadly you're running into the perennial problem of packages of a
particular vintage can only build with toolchains of a similar vintage.
 You would have hoped by now that something as basic as gcc/g++ had
standardised :-)

Ideally the right path would be to update the LTIB package set along
with the toolchains, however that's a big job which I don't have time to
do right now (I have a roadmap, just no fuel for the journey).

Anyhow, hopefully some of the ideas in all this may be of help.