lwip-devel

RE: [lwip-devel] Any interest in netif get/set hostname?

From: Bill Auerbach
Subject: RE: [lwip-devel] Any interest in netif get/set hostname?
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 08:26:35 -0400

> Different hostnames for different netifs? That's not normally the way
> POSIX-y systems work. Usually there's a single global hostname instead.
> I'm not saying it's necessarily wrong or bad, just unusual.

No, I have one connection per lwIP-based device.

> I presume you have implemented something in the DHCP client that causes
> this hostname to be passed in the DHCP request, and if the DHCP server
> supports it, that will become the DNS name. That would be nice.

Defining LWIP_NETIF_HOSTNAME does that when hostname in netif points to
something.  This shows up in a DHCP client table.  By default I use a fixed
string with the 6 hexascii ending MAC address suffixed so each device is
uniquely named.

Thank you,
Bill