lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] RE: [lwip-commits] contrib/apps/chargen chargen.c

From: David Empson
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] RE: [lwip-commits] contrib/apps/chargen chargen.c
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2010 11:16:10 +1300

The problem is the key phrase: "most compilers", not "all compilers", and I think your timeline is way off.

Of the three embedded compilers I'm using, one from 1999 (a port of gcc, possibly forked a few years earlier) doesn't support C++ comments, but I'm not using it with LWIP. I started using the others around 2003 and don't know their prior history.

Since LWIP needs to support a wide range of platforms, and embedded compilers are highly variable, I believe LWIP should continue to target ANSI C 1990 as a minimum standard, and avoid the use of C99 features.

Changing the comments to C++ style would require at a minimum a query to lwip-devel and lwip-users to see if this would affect anyone.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill Auerbach" <address@hidden>