lwip-devel

RE: [lwip-devel] RE: [lwip-commits] contrib/apps/chargen chargen.c

From: Bill Auerbach
Subject: RE: [lwip-devel] RE: [lwip-commits] contrib/apps/chargen chargen.c
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 09:35:48 -0500

You're right, it was a stupid suggestion.

The comment about your compiler not supporting C++ comments doesn't fit if
it's a platform that could never use lwIP (because the processor doesn't or
couldn't support it or Ethernet for whatever reason).  Someone could say
"Well I use the PowerPC and am using a 1995 compiler...". Sure, ok.  I was
thinking if the device supports Ethernet, chances are its compiler would be
later and support C++ comments.  You're right though - it's not worth it.

I was unable to find when C++ comments were added to GCC.  I do know some
parts of the standard were added to the standard because they were widely
supported by compilers, and GCC tended to support proposed C features long
before other compiler authors did.  I was going to guess that C++ comments
were added in the early 90's if not late 80's.

Bill