lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [bug #27352] Change ip_addr from struct to typedef (u32_t)

From: Bill Auerbach
Subject: [lwip-devel] [bug #27352] Change ip_addr from struct to typedef (u32_t)
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2010 16:16:08 +0000

Good point - if there is support for IPv6 it might be a mistake to not
support IPv4 concurrently.  I suppose ip_addr would have to contain both or be
a union with a "what am I" member.  Then pointers might be desirable since
IIRC IPv6 addresses are 16 bytes.

I agree that with pointers you do have to worry about lifetimes (and
alignment still if the pointer is the result of a cast).

Maybe the IP address for a packet can be stored more statically somewhere
else (e.g. pointer to the arp table)? I'm just throwing out an idea, not
saying this can work.  The pointer to it can be used which is more efficient
and is aligned because it can be made to be within the table.

It's all worth discussing if IPv6 is truly going to be fully supported.

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?27352>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/