lwip-devel

RE: [lwip-devel] IPv6 development status

From: Bill Auerbach
Subject: RE: [lwip-devel] IPv6 development status
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 08:43:56 -0400

This is interesting - I wonder how it impacts size and performance:

IP Addresses

LwIPv6 can handle both IPv4 and IPv6 packets, but internally, every data
structure stores IP addresses in the IPv6 (128 bit) format: IPv4 addresses
are converted in the IPv4-Mapped IPv6 format; IPv6 are stored unchanged.
Network netmasks are converted in the 128 bit format too, but the first 80
bit are set to 1. For example, the netmask 255.255.255.0 (0xffffff00), is
converted in the following 128 bit netmask
0xfffffff.ffffffff.ffffffff.ffffFFFF.ffffff00.

Bill