lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [bug #53803] nd6_cleanup_netif should set the auto-configur

From: Simon Goldschmidt
Subject: [lwip-devel] [bug #53803] nd6_cleanup_netif should set the auto-configured address to invalid
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2018 14:42:57 -0400 (EDT)

Yeah, well, maybe the OP called netif_set_down() when the link was lost? I
don't get it either, but it seems like I haven't read the original post
thoroughly... :-)

Getting back to your thoughts in comment #4, honestly, I don't know what's
best either. The only thing comparable in IPv4 is DHCP, and there the scheme
"continue using the adddress but check if it is valid" is used. However, I
don't want to reinvent something for lwIP but rather just do it like everybody
else does. Surely there must be examples of how e.g. Linux or some BSD do it?
Or even Windows?

It seems I still don't know my way around IPv6 enough here, so: I would have
thought if the on-link prefix expires, there must be some way to detect an
address is not usable any more. For example, how does a node detect if, say, a
cable router gets a different prefix from its provider? It surely must stop
using the address with the old prefix if it wants to keep connectivity? That
would be nearly the same as the link-down situation, only that we control the
time when to do that check...

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?53803>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.nongnu.org/