lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] Porting advice for 8 bit OS OS-9

From: Walter ZAMBOTTI
Subject: [lwip-devel] Porting advice for 8 bit OS OS-9
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2021 08:39:16 +0800

Hi all,

I'm considering using lwIP in a 8 bit RTOS called OS-9 (by Microware).  I'm using the original 8 bit version which came without a network stack.

I have some constraints!!!

1. Memory limitation

The kernel only has 64k for program and data.  A memory management unit allows for greater than 64k memory usage but each task and the kernel are limited to 64k. So the kernel and tasks run in their own 64k space.

Looking at memory constraints I want to know what options will give me the smallest footprint.

Is it possible to configure the use of just IP4 without IP6 (if it makes it smaller one will suffice).

2. Multi threaded or not

The RTOS is multitasking but not multi-threading so it does respond to interrupts and multiple tasks run concurrently.

Looking at the porting guide I'm not sure if I should chose the threaded option or not!

3. Timer/Interrupt resolution

The interrupt resolution is 16 milliseconds (tied to the screen vertical interrupt) but i may be able to leverage the horizontal screen interrupts for finer resolution.

Will this pose a problem?

---

Bottom line.  Do you think I can achieve this on such an architecture?

Regards

Walter Zambotti