lwip-members

[lwip-members] RFC on future development/releases

From: leon . woestenberg
Subject: [lwip-members] RFC on future development/releases
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 15:35:52 +0100

RFC on this proposal:

As discussed before:
- Do incremental development in HEAD (like it was before DEVEL).
- Do intrusive changes in DEVEL (module rewrites, in/external API changes
etc.)

New release scheme:

x.y.z

x indicates major releases (usually this include major changes to the API)

y indicates minor releases (typically a stable release, available as a
source archive as well)

z indicates bug fix releases of x.y. No new features are added.

After every x.y.0 (zero) release we create a branch that includes fixes for
that release only.
This way we can create really stable versions which do not include
regressions due to
new features.

We would work towards 0.7.0 in CVS HEAD, tag it with RELEASE-0.7.0 and
create a STABLE-0.7
branch for bug fixes on that release.

In HEAD, we continue with both bug fixes and new features/enhancements,
working towards 0.8.0,
and the story continues.

Regards,

Leon.