lwip-users

[lwip-users] Re: [lwip] PPP

From: Phil Dempster
Subject: [lwip-users] Re: [lwip] PPP
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 22:02:24 -0000

> packets from UDP sockets. Also, the state->inbuffer
> should be changed to
> using lwIP's pbufs instead.

Funnily enough, that occured to me this morning too...

> If code size matter, things doesn't really look
> promising; James' PPP code
> compiles to nearly 13k. That is 4k more than the
> lwIP TCP!

I think long term, it would be better to port a full
version of PPP for use with lwIP (or else write a
lwPPP from scratch...)  James' code is useful because
of its simplicity rather than its size - certain
important functional elements are not implemented,
such as authentication.  Unfortunately, PPP always
going to be quite a large chunk of code.

That said, if added to lwIP, it would provide a useful
test platform whereby a remote target could be
connected via serial/ethernet to a host PC without OS
or other software dependencies.

Cheers,
Phil.