lwip-users

[lwip-users] [lwip] PPP

From: Adam Dunkels
Subject: [lwip-users] [lwip] PPP
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 21:45:15 -0000

Hi!

By browsing through Phil's cleaned up version of James Carlson's PPP code, I
see no particular problems in porting the code to lwIP. The biggest changes
will be to the set_up_tunnel() and read_packet() functions which now reads
packets from UDP sockets. Also, the state->inbuffer should be changed to
using lwIP's pbufs instead.

I have not looked through the code enough to be able to completely understand
it (my lack of PPP-knowledge doesn't really make things better, either) but
to me it seems as if the code only implements the PPP negotiation stuff and
not the HDLC-like framing. So this would have to be added as well.

If code size matter, things doesn't really look promising; James' PPP code
compiles to nearly 13k. That is 4k more than the lwIP TCP! (And I thought
that TCP was large...) The good news is that the PPP code includes
initalization code and debugging output abilities, which means that it is
possible to reduce the size.

/adam
--
Adam Dunkels <address@hidden>