lwip-users

[lwip-users] Re: [lwip] Patch for PaulOS + crash fixes

From: psheer
Subject: [lwip-users] Re: [lwip] Patch for PaulOS + crash fixes
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 23:09:38 -0000

> Thanks! I have gone through your patches, and most of them seem to be PaulOS
> specific and as such won't be included in the main lwIP tree.

> Is the patch to
> tcp_input.c the only lwIP-specific patch?

i *think* it is

<SOAP>

i do think its important to support configurations that
want to work *without* threads in the *way* that PaulOS
does.

so whether you call it __PAULOS__ or __NO_OS__ is
irrelevant. There should be a way to use a TCP stack
without having to have a complex backbone infrustructure.

that is:
  *- compiling of the http web server and pages should be
      a compile time option.

  *- your api_msg and api_lib files should also be a compile
       time option: i don't use them, because i made my own
       socket layer that interfaces with paulos' file
       descriptors.

  *- use of messages and semaphores should also be a compile
       time option. i.e. the network driver should be able
       to insert packets without having to pass messages

  *- lwIP should be able to run non-blocking - the way i have
        done it, you can call a main function occasionally to
        do any pending TCP work. When  there is nothing to do,
        it returns immediately.

  *- you should be able to plug in your own malloc module
        so that you can use GNU malloc.c if you have it, or
        whatever malloc implementation your OS supports.
        the patch i sent you has #ifdef's around all the
        memory allocation stuff.

</SOAP>

best

-paul