lwip-users

[lwip-users] Re: [lwip] Realtek RTL8019AS vs cs8900

From: John C. Toman
Subject: [lwip-users] Re: [lwip] Realtek RTL8019AS vs cs8900
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 23:32:10 -0000

Hi Nishen,

The Rabbit 2000/3000 boards I've done a port for use the RTK8019AS.
Unfortunately, the driver might not be of much use to you since it
contains a lot of Rabbit assembly, some of which is necessary, and
utilizes serial lines specific to the Rabbit architecture (i.e. this is
not a generic RTK8019AS driver). You can take a look at
http://ctica.com/RabbitTCPIP.jsp . The driver used doesn't use the 16
bit mode, so I can't vouch for that. Also, the driver doesn't take
advantage of an external interrupt to receive packets because that line
isn't hooked up currently on any of the Rabbit Semiconductor core modules.

As for the relative advantages, I have heard that the cs8900 is a better
design, but I don't have any evidence to back that up. They are both
cheap, 10Mbit, bottom of the barrel ethernet chips. I can tell you that
the RTK8019AS depends upon an EEPROM for its configuration (especially
its MAC address). If the EEPROM isn't present (who wants to buy that
part when you don't have to?), the line can be pulled up or the CPU can
emulate the EEPROM if hooked up right. Both methods are a little messy
and lead to a lot of initialization code but are commonly done. There
are examples of both in the driver.

Regards,

John