lwip-users

[lwip-users] Re: [lwip] Congestion Windows

From: Adam Dunkels
Subject: [lwip-users] Re: [lwip] Congestion Windows
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 23:33:23 -0000

Hi!

On Monday 22 April 2002 03.43, yeoh yeow wrote:
> If our buffer size is fixed to an amount of data and we use pre-allocated
> buffer, is it we need to imposed congestion window flow control.
>
> As I know, congestion windows is flow control imposed by the sender. If we
> already specific an amount of data like fitting the window size of every
> outgoing packet. We really don't need to impose this flow control, rite?

Congestion control and flow control are two different mechanisms with
different goals. Flow control ensures that the receiver is not overwhelmed by
data. Congestion control ensures that the network is not overwhelmed by data.
If the flow control window is really small (i.e., one segment) and the sender
does not send more than one segment at a time, the congestion control
mechanisms will never be invoked.

/adam
--
Adam Dunkels <address@hidden>