lwip-users

[lwip-users] Re: [lwip] lwIP on Gigabit Ethernet

From: Adam Dunkels
Subject: [lwip-users] Re: [lwip] lwIP on Gigabit Ethernet
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 00:02:03 -0000

Hi!

I agree with what everyone has said about this, and would like to further
stress the importance of the lwipopts.h settings. The default settings are
*very* conservative and does not give high performance.

For high performance, increase the window size (TCP_WND), the TCP maximum
segment size (TCP_MSS), sender buffer space, turn on queueing of
out-of-sequence segments, increase PBUF_POOL_SIZE and set PBUF_POOL_BUFSIZE
to TCP_MSS. Also increase the heap size (MEM_SIZE), the number of avaliable
TCP segments (MEM_SEG) and the number of pbufs (MEM_PBUF).

Your TCP window is very small (1024 bytes) so performance probably is limited
by that. Increase it to 32768 to get things going really fast.

You should also try to rewrite the checksum loop in assembler - that probably
further increases performance. But I guess that the problem has more to do
with window sizes and not raw CPU cycles performance in this case.

/adam

--
Adam Dunkels <address@hidden>
http://www.sics.se/~adam