lwip-users

[lwip-users] Re: [lwip] /dev/tap0

From: Adam Dunkels
Subject: [lwip-users] Re: [lwip] /dev/tap0
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 01:42:51 -0000

Hi Amol!

On Thursday 18 October 2001 07:02, you wrote:
>     I apologise for not changing the subject in the previous mail.

No problem :-)

>     I am a newbie. I tried compiling lwip-0.4.1 on Red Hat Linux 7.1
> (kernel 2.4.2). It compiled after adding
> #define PBUF_MAX_SIZE 1500 to the file /src/include/lwip/pbuf.h
>      I installed the vtun interface driver before running the code.
>
>  Running ./simhost as root gives the following output.
>
>  System initialized.
> tapif_init: No such file or directory
>
> It does not find the file "/dev/tap0" in the function tapif_init in file
> src/arch/unix/netif/tapif.c.
> I do not understand much about taptunnel or vtun interface driver.
> Though I am a newbie, could you please help me in this matter. Thanks in
> advance.

I have heard others have similar problems with Linux versions > 2.2.
Personally, I don't run lwIP under Linux - the last time I did was with Linux
2.2 and the vtun/universal tun/tap driver. Back then, it was as simple as to
install the kernel modules and do the appropriate mknod and insmod, and
everything was working.

When running under Linux 2.4, this doesn't seem to work anymore, and I don't
really have an explanation of it. Perhaps the tap/tun driver has been
integrated into the Linux kernel? If so, it could be enabled by kernel
reconfiguration and recompilation.

Has anybody got the tap/tun driver to work under Linux 2.4.x?

/adam
--
Adam Dunkels <address@hidden>
http://www.sics.se/~adam