lwip-users

[lwip-users] dynamic configuring

From: benjamin hall
Subject: [lwip-users] dynamic configuring
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 15:50:45 -0800

Hello all;

Thanks in part  to your expertise, I am up and running lwip on a 5272
platform; no small feat considering I started with a village idiot's
understanding of networking.

That said, I have a question that may cement my reputation as the village
idiot (maybe slightly off topic but simple enough not to consume a lot of
mailing list bandwidth): Suppose we are designing an embedded device with
ethernet capability  and want to hook it up to our LAN and have a PC
application talk to it.  I understand that the crudest method is to
pre-assign a static  IP address to this device, and have the app use this IP
address, or make an association in a local file between this IP address and
a friendly name like "our_device", and use that in the app (and this much I
have done).  If the network has a DHCP server, then we could use Leon's DHCP
code, and have the server dynamically assign our device an IP address.  By
what process, then, does the name "our_device" that we're using in our
application,  get associated with this dynamically assigned IP address?  Is
this related to the "client ID" I see referred to in the DHCP lit, or is
this what DNS does, or is there yet another way this kind of problem is
handled?

If you have any insight or can point me to literature, I'd appreciate it.

Ben