lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] dynamic configuring

From: Leon Woestenberg
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] dynamic configuring
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 19:24:55 +0100

Hello Benjamin,

> Thanks in part  to your expertise, I am up and running lwip on a 5272
> platform; no small feat considering I started with a

Is that a Coldfire?

> have done).  If the network has a DHCP server, then we could use Leon's
DHCP
> code, and have the server dynamically assign our device an IP address.  By
> what process, then, does the name "our_device" that we're using in our
> application,  get associated with this dynamically assigned IP address?
Is

Not at all.

> this related to the "client ID" I see referred to in the DHCP lit, or is
> this what DNS does, or is there yet another way this kind of problem is
> handled?

In order to have an IP host name point to a certain IP address, DNS is
involved.

Now, there are DHCP servers that forward client-proposed names into the
DNS server, and us such, have the device name point to the IP address it
was dynamically assigned by the DHCP server.

> If you have any insight or can point me to literature, I'd appreciate it.

There might be some recent RFC on hooking up DNS with DHCP.
I know there are efforts to connect "BIND" and the Internet Consortium's
DHCP server.

Also, there is a way to have a client ask itself to be inserted into the
DNS server database by itself. I think recent Windows use this.

Unfortunately, I do not have any more info on this.

Leon.