lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] uIP: inconsistent docs and implementation quirks

From: Leon Woestenberg
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] uIP: inconsistent docs and implementation quirks
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 15:53:57 +0200

Hello Henning Riedel,

Henning Riedel wrote:

Well, I'm trying to port uIP to 68332 as interim platform, until 68HC12 hardware is here. I have an SMC91C111 eth module hooked.

This mailing list discusses lwIP, not uIP.

I get a little pissed by the infos provided, which seem somehow inconsistent.

If you get pissed by open-source materiale, my suggestion is to
piss back harder, just not on a public mailing list.

You write in your samples for device drivers, to take the header infos from uip_buf and the paylod from uip_appdata, but somehow it doesn't work quite as it should.

You define IP and TCP headers to be 20 bytes each, but when I sniff, some packets have e.g. 24 bytes TCP header. Though, there come up questions as, when does a driver needs to take data from uip_buf and when from uip_appdata? If the header is 24 bytes, will the options then be in uip_buf or uip_appdata, as you say, application can put uip_appdata somewhere else.

You suggest there is a single "you" here, while in fact, many people are
listening who have no clue what you are talking about or have anything to do with the documentation or samples you talk about.

There might be many reasons why your headers are not what they should be, including numerous faults on your behalf.

Please try somewhere else (/appropriate) and be a little more constructive.

Regards,

Leon.