lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Struct packing/alignment problems

From: Jani Monoses
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Struct packing/alignment problems
Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 12:31:57 +0300

> Exactly how did it not work? Correct alignment of header fields will
> not break anything.

It just did not work whereas without the change it did, so I did not
debug it further. The behaviour you want can be selected it's just not
the default. And agreed, we should try making it simpler and cleaner and
will have to see if what you suggest below would work out.

But for now I'd like to keep it this way (Rule of least surprise for
people who have been successfully running lwip/ethernet so far)

> I suspect the problem you have is in your ethernet driver, the driver
> must be slightly altered to work with the alignment patch.

I didn't know about that.
If you have a patch for the cleanups than I'm interested too, I don't
like those ugly PACK directives either (Note however they are for
packing and not padding the data, so padding only corrects one of the
alignment issues).

Jani