lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Accepting multicast UDP packets

From: Jim Gibbons
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Accepting multicast UDP packets
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 14:36:00 -0700

I've faced this problem, and taken a cowards way out.  I checked for the UDP multicast that I was interested in at the level of my ethernet driver.  Then I modified the UDP packet to change it to unicast.  That got me up the stack and into my upper level code that was listening on the UDP port.

The pertinent code in the stack is in ip_input, which you might want to read.  See ip.c in the ipv4 subdirectory.

A braver man would have modified the stack and shared his work with the community.  Like I said, I took the cowards way out.

Bilow Rodriguez wrote:
Greetings lwip users!

I am a newbie to lwip, but like it very much so far.
We are using the socket level interface for an
application using TCP and UDP networking.  So far,
verything is great.

The problem we have run in to now, though, is
regarding how to make the application accept UDP
multicast packets.

Does one need to call netif_add() for the additional
ip addresses corresponding to the multicast packets?
Or is there a better way?

Guidance and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

-Bilowfan