lwip-users

Re: AW: [lwip-users] Porting the lwip TCP/IP/PPP stack, commercial m2m

From: clive
Subject: Re: AW: [lwip-users] Porting the lwip TCP/IP/PPP stack, commercial m2m
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 13:44:06 +0000

address@hidden wrote:
> Hi Clive
> Thank you for your help. Are there tools like Ethereal to trace the PPP =
> establish procedure, just in case, because first trials often need =
> debugging.

Yes - Ethereal comes with PPP trace facilities. This works very nicely, and
helped me figure out what was going on between embedded target and Windows
server.

> Your hint for commercial m2m. I investigated a little bit. In Europe the =
> most established service is from SAGEM Dr.Neuhaus. To be able to =
> communicate directly with the embedded device you need to know its IP =
> address. Unfortunately GSM providers hide this ip behind firewalls and =
> proxys.
> Thats where the proprietary protocol of SAGEM helps. It encapsulates the =
> IP address in an upper layer protocol. Therefore a tiny switching center =
> server knows the devices IP address and can act as a router between the =
> client application which is also from SAGEM.
> The problem is, this switching center costs around 3500Euro for 100 =
> ports (each device must have a port) and then some additional 25Euros =
> per port above 100 ports. There are providers running this switching =
> center and you can rent ports for a monthliy fee.
> But the most blocking factor for us. We dont need to transfer data so =
> frequently. For this GPRS solution you need some sort of GPRS modem, =
> which you mentioned must be programmable with your application (in this =
> case with the SAGEM protocol).
> But we want a very cheap m2m solution. As most people have a bluetooth =
> enabled phone today and our embedded device already has a OEM bluetooth =
> module, we want to dial up through the phone with an ordinary =
> (unfortunately more expensive) CSD data call.
> Or did you thought of other cheaper commercial m2m solutions. Any hint =
> is welcome?

Also take a look at http://tinyurl.com/2blqeu. Wavecom are one of the major
providers of m2m modules. In Europe, they are supported by Orange, see their
m2m offering here: http://tinyurl.com/2dags3 . I've used this system and found
it extremely convenient...

Hope this helps,

Clive Wilson