lwip-users

Re: RE : [lwip-users] Questions about LwIP KEEPALIVE...

From: David Empson
Subject: Re: RE : [lwip-users] Questions about LwIP KEEPALIVE...
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 10:15:56 +1300

Hi Frédéric

On Monday, February 19, 2007 10:19 PM, "Frédéric BERNON" <address@hidden> wrote:
You're right, if the protocol got a specific message to poll the peer, this is not a problem. But some protocols don't get them. Sometimes, we can found some workarounds. By example, with Telnet : you can send a "<SPACE><BACKSPACE>" to peer to force a communication checking, but, it can only work with my own telnet clients/servers. More, when you port some sources, you need to adapt them, and it's not very
always simple.

To my point of view, porting applications on LwIP at socket layer would need to do only very limited modifications on applications. I thought that enable to customize default values with lwipopts.h seems to be in the "lwip spirit". If doing this is "too specific", ok, I will do it only in my own lwip copy.

Even if you only do it in your copy of LWIP, I can see two problems with modifying the LWIP keep-alive timer:

1. It only affects one direction. The other direction will still be sending slow keep-alive packets (unless you have sufficient control over the other end as well).

2. If you are running multiple protocols or applications over TCP/IP, a global change in the keep-alive timer may not be suitable for all applications. Even if you are running the same protocol over multiple connections, you might need different keep-alive settings for each connection (e.g. a LAN connection vs a cellular data connection).

I just look the DNP protocol. Is it a very used protocol? Do you an overview about it (send me a private email if you can)...

(replied privately to this part)