lwip-users

RE : RE : [lwip-users] Questions about LwIP KEEPALIVE...

From: Frédéric BERNON
Subject: RE : RE : [lwip-users] Questions about LwIP KEEPALIVE...
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 23:23:25 +0100

>Even if you only do it in your copy of LWIP, I can see two problems with
>modifying the LWIP keep-alive timer:
>
>1. It only affects one direction. The other direction will still be sending
>slow keep-alive packets (unless you have sufficient control over the other
>end as well).
Sure

>2. If you are running multiple protocols or applications over TCP/IP, a
>global change in the keep-alive timer may not be suitable for all
>applications. Even if you are running the same protocol over multiple
>connections, you might need different keep-alive settings for each
>connection (e.g. a LAN connection vs a cellular data connection).
Yes, that's why the TCP_KEEPALIVE can change the keepalive timeout for each
socket. But the default interval seems to long for most of applications. So, I
think that changing it enable a "faster" reaction for some sockets, and allow
to set a longer keepalive timeout for others ones...

>I just look the DNP protocol. Is it a very used protocol? Do you an
>overview about it (send me a private email if you can)...
>(replied privately to this part)
Yes, I got your email, thank you...