lwip-users

[lwip-users] Problem with lwip_select under Nucleus

From: brivero
Subject: [lwip-users] Problem with lwip_select under Nucleus
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 09:54:20 +0200

First of all I would like to thank you very much for your help.

Next, I would like to explain the scenario in which the problem takes place. I have found a standard Unix-sockets code in a book and I have implemented it for Win32 with no problem. Since the objective is to create a wrapper socket API in order to work with a few OSs (Win32, LWIP&Nucleus,...), I tried to do the same for LWIP. The structure of the application is as follows:

Server                     Client
======                    ======
socket
bind
listen
                             socket
                          connect <server>
accept
send

                         recv
socket_delete

This daytime application works in Win32 (both server and client in Win32) with no problem. But in LWIP(server in Win32 and client in LWIP), before the server sends the packet, the client ends the program closing the connection. This way, the client finds nothing to receive, and the server has no connection for when he is going to execute the send statement, causing a send error.

At this point, I supposed that for default, sockets in LWIP were non-blocking (is this true???), and in consequence, the lwip_recv() worked as non blocking. That would be the reason for which it would not wait for the server to send, and the client execution would finish before the server send statement.
Introducing a one second sleep statement just before lwip_recv() all worked ok.

That´s why I tried to implement a blocking recv() by calling select just before recv(). But In spite of the 5 seconds timeval structure used as input to this select, it did not wait. I used this select looking at the readset in which the socket used to receive was set. At first I was afraid that there was some kind of problem with the semaphores, dealing with the port to Nucleus or something like that. But I have had a close look at some other select calls, and as long as there is not a connect before, they work perfectly waiting the timeval value etc.

I have gone into the select by debugging, and the execution changes in sys_sem_wait_timeout(in sys.c). This function returs a 1 when it does not wait, and a 0 if it does wait. Inside this function, the problem is in the sys_timeout function, as it does let the sswt_cb.timeflag with a 0 value when it does not wait, while it changes its value to 1 when it waits.

I cannot find an explanation to what happens, but actually, select does not wait when it is called after a connect. I would be very pleased if somebody could give me some advice.

Regards,

Borja.