lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] link down and netconn problem

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] link down and netconn problem
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2009 16:09:38 +0200

Kieran Mansley wrote:
ERR_IF is deemed to be a fatal error: one from which the connection
cannot recover.  Clearly in your case this is wrong: unplugging and
replugging the cable is not a permanent state so not a fatal error.
What we probably need to do is split ERR_IF into two: one to describe
fatal errors such as not being able to add the netif, and another
describing transient errors such as the link going down.  Your
low_level_output could then return whichever of these is appropriate.

On a related note, does anyone know why ERR_INPROGRESS is fatal?  I
don't think it should be.
I haven't yet understood why we have fatal errors at all: If the user (application) wants the stack to retry, why not? All that fatal error handling only leads to errors noone understands, anyway... And all that only because we want to prevent running some code when we *suspect* we had a fatal error and it would go wrong later?

Simon