lwip-users

RE: [lwip-users] OT: Is the AutoIP range a special case IP address range

From: Bill Auerbach
Subject: RE: [lwip-users] OT: Is the AutoIP range a special case IP address range?
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 12:41:53 -0500

>1.8.  Communication with Routable Addresses
>
>   There will be cases when devices with a configured Link-Local address
>   will need to communicate with a device with a routable address
>   configured on the same physical link, and vice versa.  The rules in
>   Section 2.6 allow this communication.
>
>   This allows, for example, a laptop computer with only a routable
>   address to communicate with web servers world-wide using its
>   globally-routable address while at the same time printing those web
>   pages on a local printer that has only an IPv4 Link-Local address.
><<<< snap <<<<

I hadn't reread this RFC - it has a lot more to it than I remembered. Although
I am on a non-routable subnet it really doesn't matter as the discussion still
applies.

>BTW: This does *not* work for me under Windows XP, where I have to
>manually configure a 2nd address in the AutoIP range. Which version of
>windows were you using, Bill and David?

WinXP SP3.  There are a couple of problems with AutoIp which the RFC appears to
cover.  If you have 2 NICs in the PC and one is AutoIp (common in my case since
we want our devices on their own subnet), you cannot access AutoIp devices on
any other NIC even if you manually add an ARP entry for that NIC to
MAC/IPAddress.  If there are 2 NICs, all the AutoIP devices need to be on one.
I am not clear which one matters or if it's in NIC index order.  This makes
sense since the PC doesn't know which interface to send to.  What bothers me is
even with an ARP entry it will not make the route.

Bill