lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] OT: Is the AutoIP range a special case IP address range

From: Simon Goldschmidt
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] OT: Is the AutoIP range a special case IP address range?
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 22:35:01 +0100

 "Bill Auerbach" <address@hidden> wrote:

>> BTW: This does *not* work for me under Windows XP, where I have to
>> manually configure a 2nd address in the AutoIP range. Which version of
>> windows were you using, Bill and David?
>
> WinXP SP3.  There are a couple of problems with AutoIp which the RFC appears
> to cover.  If you have 2 NICs in the PC and one is AutoIp (common in my case
> since we want our devices on their own subnet), you cannot access AutoIp
> devices on any other NIC even if you manually add an ARP entry for that NIC
> to MAC/IPAddress.  If there are 2 NICs, all the AutoIP devices need to be on
> one.  I am not clear which one matters or if it's in NIC index order.  This
> makes sense since the PC doesn't know which interface to send to.  What
> bothers me is even with an ARP entry it will not make the route.

Well, from the routing point, that makes sense since routing normally decides
by comparing network addresses with computer addresses. Only in the case of
having more than one NIC, that doesn't work for AutoIP any more.

And that might very well have been my problem with Windows XP since the PC I
tested this on has two NICs from which the one with lower priority (higher
metric) was connected to the test network with my lwIP device. I'll have to
test that again with only one NIC enabled. Thanks for the input on that!

Simon