lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Using HostName with lwip 1.4.0

From: Simon Goldschmidt
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Using HostName with lwip 1.4.0
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 12:55:38 +0100

Diecol <address@hidden> wrote:
> Really it was the problem.. I did ping for another PC and it worked!
> But how can I do this on the same machine?
> Because I'll need to change the IP and I can't turn off the machine at
> real
> situation!

You cannot "solve" this. It's just the way windows works: it caches netbios
names and doesn't ask on the network every time. The reason for this is that it
tries to prevent broadcast flooding of the LAN, since netbios names are
resolved using local UDP broadcast (unless a central server is used, which
isn't the case for lwIP).

> PS: The problem with DHCP & Hostname I couldnt solve yet.. It just works
> with Static IP..

I'm afraid I don't understand that. If you mean letting the DHCP client pass a
hostname (selected by lwIP) to the DHCP server and then being able to ping that
hostname: this cannot be easily configured, as you need a linux/unix DHCP
server that is bundled with a local DNS server and the client PC trying to ping
via hostname has to use that DNS server. It can be done, but I don't think this
turned on by default.

Simon