lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] a beginners questions about lwip, sockets and threads

From: Luca Ottaviano
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] a beginners questions about lwip, sockets and threads
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 15:36:06 +0200

Hi Åke,

On mar, 2011-05-24 at 15:14 +0200, address@hidden wrote:
> My questions are:
> 1. Can I use threads? One to receive and one to transmit data and then
> check if the data arrives correctly?

Yes, you can. I only have experience with sockets API (which in my
opinion is simpler to use), but that has never been a problem.

> 2. Should I use TCP or UDP-sockets (SOCK_STREAM/SOCK_DGRAM)

That depends on your application. Bear in mind that both types use
netconn connections below, so you need to configure a number of netconn
equal or more than the number of TCP + UDP sockets that you plan to use.

> 4. I'm currently running 1.3.2 is there any reason to upgrade to 1.4.0
> besides the new number?

With 1.4.0 you get many new features and the OS layer is much simpler to
implement.

> I've already tried to start thread-to-thread-communication with
> sockets but I'm quite inexperienced when it comes to working with
> sockets so I might have done some trivial mistake. My init sequence
> and socket-code can be found here: http://pastebin.com/ScSZ7fYKif
> anyone has a slow afternoon and feel like nitpicking =)

If you use the sockets API, you can develop and debug your threads as
different processes on PC. Porting to lwip is just a matter of adding
lwip_ prefix to posix calls.
I suggest that you start coding one process and use netcat (or
equivalent) on the other end.

Cheers,
--
Luca Ottaviano - address@hidden